Great bridal consultants need certain qualities. The more of these qualities you have or obtain, the better you can become. If you don’t recognize in yourself any of these qualities, I have to warn you that selling bridal dresses might not be for you.
- High level of patience: You have to be a very patient person to work with brides. Sometimes it is like a cat and mouse game which can take more than one appointment to finish.
- Good listener and observer: As crazy as this might sound, you need to be a better listener than a speaker in order to sell brides. You have to focus constantly on signals that the bride is giving you and act on them. If you are talking too much, you will miss those signals.
- Enthusiasm: You need enthusiasm to sell wedding dresses. When a bride tries on a dress that she really likes you have to be able to genuinely show excitement. If you have trouble showing real excitement to her, she might think you are not really interested in her or she can get insecure because she needs that confirmation from you as her consultant.
- Confidence: More than fifty percent of the decision to saying yes to a dress depends on your level of confidence. If you can come across confident, she will trust that you know what you are doing, which will increase your chances of selling tremendously.
- Have empathy: Being able to know what goes around in the mind of the bride and tune into that is one of the most important qualities of a bridal consultant.
- Committed: you have to commit to finding the perfect dress for every bride that comes to the store. Learn to think outside of the box in order to find her that perfect dress.
- Handle rejection: In order to help the last bride of the day with the same enthusiasm as you handled the first bride of the day you must learn to handle rejection. Not every bride will buy her dress with you. Look at it as an opportunity to learn new things and move on to find the perfect dress for the next bride.
- Persistent: Most brides that come to visit the store just want to try on some dresses and think about it. You have to be set on getting a sale with every bride otherwise you are more or less selling dresses for your competitors. Even when the bride starts giving you objections you have to be persistent. Please know the boundaries so don’t push a bride too much but also be clear on why you are there, which is to sell a dress.
- Creative: This job needs you to be creative in many ways. You have to style the bride in such a way that she can imagine herself on her wedding day. You have to be able to alter a dress with pins, pieces of fabric and lace, use belts and whatever else is necessary to create that dream dress she is looking for.
- Trustworthy: Selling is all about trust. If you manage to get the bride and her guests to trust you, you have a high chance of making the sale. Make sure you are sincere and don’t lie in order to sell. If they find out, you will lose the sale!
For every sale you miss because you’re too enthusiastic, you will miss a hundred because you’re not enthusiastic enough. – Zig Ziglar
This is an extract from my manual ‘Selling in Bridal’. A great tool for training your bridal consultants.